Leonardo da Vinci's Vineyard
From Lorenzo de’ Medici’s Florence Leonardo moves to Milan, under Ludovico Maria ‘Il Moro’ Sforza’s rule, in 1482. At the time both Leonardo and Ludovico are 30 years old.
In 1495, Ludovico commissions Leonardo to paint the Last Supper in the refectory of Santa Maria delle Grazie. In 1498, Ludovico grants Leonardo the ownership of a vineyard of about 16 rows.
It’s nice to imagine Leonardo leaving his working site at sunset, crossing the square, walking thought the Atellani house, and finally checking on his vines. However, when the King of France’s troops vanquishes and imprisons ‘Il Moro’ in 1500, Leonardo leaves Milan, shortly after having given in lease the vineyard to the father of his pupil, Gian Giacomo ‘Salaì’ Caprotti.
Leonardo will never stop taking care of his vineyard. When the French confiscate the Vineyard, Leonardo finally manages to take it back and on his death bed he mentions it, leaving part of it to servant and another part to ‘Salaì’ himself.